Working from Home
The current global pandemic has impacted me less than it has most people, but there are impacts all the same. My company transitioned to all remote work on March 15th and plans to continue that through at least October. My team builds tooling for software project automation used by our internal development group. At present, we’re focused on leveraging Kubernetes, prototyping on GCP, and building a robust set of capabilities around test data automation. In my free time, I’m working on a Java portfolio project that can be found here.
- When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chodron
- Conscious Uncoupling by Katherine Thomas
- Building Microservices by Sam Newman
Building a Life
- Trying my hand at landscaping you can eat (a.k.a, gardening). It has not gone especially well thanks to high temperatures and a rotund yet flexible groundhog. If nothing else, the attempt has been a useful learning experience.
- Constructing modular built-in bookshelves.
- Trying out a different take on email with hey.com.
- Actively consuming less news and focusing more on things I can control.
Staying on the Path
I have a set of important dailies that I try to make time for every day. This includes exercise, journaling, meditation, reading, gratitude, learning, stretching, and mobility work. I can’t say that I hit these every day, but I usually check off most of them.
Relevant Quote I’ve Found Lately
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’ - Isaac Asimov
Previously on Now
- Converted a spare bedroom into a small home gym complete with lifting platform and a Rogue Fitness folding power rack.
- Completed a Spartan Race in Jacksonville, FL (February, 2020).
- Thru-hiked 486 miles on the Colorado Trail (July - August of 2019).
Now was last updated on 2020-07-22.
If you are wondering what a ‘now’ page is, you can read more about it here.